Monday, September 22, 2008

Ramadan Kareem

It might be a bit cruel to expose this but I can’t be selfish as I need to share it with the world. Working in Dubai during Ramadan month is the best. LOL!

You can’t eat or drink in the public but there are designated areas for these “illegal” activities just as they said “there are places and times for everything”.

I’m currently working from the client’s office, a ½ government owned organization so most of the staffs are Muslim. I can’t drink my coffee or tea on my desk but I can still drink and eat as much as I like inside the pantry.

Restaurants and coffee shops are closed during the fasting period but not those located inside a hotel. My current working station is located in the Dubai Exhibition Centre where there are two 5-star hotels attached to it.

I have been having my “sinful” lunch inside these 5-stars hotels for the pass two weeks, very good food indeed. They even have Mee Goreng, Satay and of cause my favourite Pork Chop.

I felt like I am the most sinful person in Dubai; Having Pork Chop Lunch in the Ramadan Fasting period. The price is slightly higher but I love it, the best pork chop I ever had and sometimes I do had a bit of Red Wine too as it good for digestion.

Forbidden food taste the best!

Another great part about working in Dubai during Ramadan Month is the shorter working hours. My company policies for those who didn’t had lunch can leave office at 3pm and those who had lunch can leave at 4pm, it doesn’t matter if you are Muslim or not. That’s fair!

I am now based on client office and our client is one of Dubai government wings but their policies are not fair. Fasting staffs works from 9.30am to 3.30pm while non-fasting staff works normal hours.

Not fair!

But I’m technically rented out by my company to the client, so I am still my company asset and according to my HR I can leave at 3pm. LOL!

Because I am at client office with “Moh Wong kun”, I come in 8.30am, eat my breakfast, drink my coffee (of cause in the pantry) then sit the washroom for 15minutes before I start a thing called “work”!

I had my lunch at 12pm, the Pork Chop Lunch till 1.30pm then go back at 3pm. Lalalalala!

Work? Ramadan is a partial holiday la! Everything slowed down to celebrate Ramadan and there are plentiful of Iftar Dinner (Buka Puasa) FREE OF CHAGE and it’s not Dog Food.

But all great things will come to an end; this Thursday is the last day of Working Ramadan for me. Is very depressing to know that, when I came back from Egypt everything will be normal again.

I only learn the true meaning of Ramadan from Dubai.

5 comments:

  1. Lunch everyday at a 5-star hotel. Bet it comes with 5-star pay too, eh ;-P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Egypt, u say? hhmm...hav been considering tat too... Will wait for ur posting first..

    ReplyDelete
  3. sigh~~~

    tis is sth malaysian gomen need to learn.

    i'm happy tat you got ur enlightenment about the true meaning of Ramadhan in Dubai. u r blessed and learned. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hai dear..is there any job vacancy for design architect or architect that you know? I need to apply one la...please let me know ok....sorry for seeking your help...fahimi7984@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. lonely you, I dont think there is any opening at the moment

    ReplyDelete