Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Do-bye or Goodbye

Lotta people got sacked from their jobs recently in UK & Ireland, especially construction related jobs. When recession hit, construction industry is the first one who taste it effect. So lotta friends, friends' friends and friends's spouses are looking for jobs in the Middle East. d0-bye is the prime location because of its more westernize culture.

As side from its tax free and cheap petrol, d0-bye do offer a more luxurious lifestyle for the middle class. A maid can be employed as low as 1k dirham a mth, that's about 120pounds. For 120pounds, you cant even ask someone to look after your dog in UK! That cold weather in UK isn’t as romantic as portrayed in winter s0nata! For short holiday, okayla! But for long term stays that's miserable. That’s why kwai poh fresh from UK will literally strip while running towards the sun.

The bad side of d0-bye of cause its there isn’t a sense of belonging here. I have been here for 2years now but I still don’t feel like home. Maybe that's due to UAE don’t give citizenship to outsiders, giving me the feeling that I will have to leave someday. Maybe also because of the Law here which I find verrrrrrrrrry "wui kow" although UAE is the least strict of the Middle Eastern countries but I still feel uncomfortable. A man life is worth 200k, a women life is worth 100k and race hourse life is worth 2million???

D0-bye or Good-bye, a phrase I learn from a visiting friends' friend from UK.
But d0bye isn’t the safe haven as most Europe base frens thought. I repeatedly told them d0bye doesn’t have oil, even if d0bye did if recession hit, there will still be effects.
There are rumors of big-big company in dobye are retrenching hundreds of staffs. Not sure how true is it but I am sure getting job in d0bye isn’t as easy as it use to be. I hope the recession monster doesn’t come to close to d0bye. If it’s come, maybe is time for me to pack and go home?

So now is d0bye also bye-bye!

1 comment:

  1. i hope you say (bye - bye) very soon enshallah

    ReplyDelete